Friday, October 11, 2013

Demographic Winter

We watched an interesting video in my class a few weeks ago and, as I've been thinking about it more, I wanted to share the link to the 2-hour(two episodes) production.  I found it fascinating to say the least.  I admittedly finished the program thinking "I need to go out and have ten kids or else mankind will die out".  I don't know if that was the video's intention but I'm probably not going to suddenly fly off my seat to make as many babies as possible.  At least, not quite yet.  ;)

http://www.byutv.org/watch/59b6b917-984a-478f-93b1-521a647779c4/new-economic-reality-demographic-winter-part-1

As I thought more about the program, I thought it might be interesting to find some thoughts from others on the video.  I came across one that I found interesting written by Kathryn Joyce.  She wasn't convinced that we're all going to die out unless we have children and found a few points in the program that she dug deeper in.  If you're interested to see what she has to say, I am including the link to her article.  It's a little long but it has to address two hours' worth of video.

http://kathrynjoyce.com/articles/review-demographic-winter-the-decline-of-the-human-family/

What do you think about what the video has said?  Do you agree with them about the declining population?  What did you think about Joyce's article?

No comments:

Post a Comment