Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thoughts on Chapter 2 of Why Does He Do That

This was really interesting to read because I have never even thought about some of the things that Lundy has mentioned.  He talked about how the men who abuse are not interested in changing their behavior and often make women feel that they are the crazy ones.  They seek sympathy in a very selfish way by blaming anything for their behavior.  They allow their feelings to bottle up inside of them and then give themselves permission to explode and go beyond what the normal angry person would.  Most of these men do not have psychological problems or deeper, more passionate feelings.  Their only difference is that they seek to always be the center of attention and manipulate the situations around them so they can “do their worst”.  They are completely cognitive and clear-headed when they are abusing the victim and can even stop themselves from going “too far”.  
It seems to Lundy that these men have confused ideas about what is right and what is wrong because they know that doing things to others is bad but they justify their behavior with their partners.  The abuse doesn’t even have to happen when they are angry.  They use their manipulation and lying to put the victim in a false sense of security and then they lash out in the way that will hurt most.  This isn’t their way of pushing from intimacy because abusive men are neither afraid or abandonment nor intimacy, they only have an abusive mind.  This mind can be pushed to the extreme by alcohol, drugs, or mental illnesses but, upon solving these other problems, the men still exhibit abusive thinking and behaviors.
I found this extremely enlightening and I think that being aware of the truth will help me better understand those who suffer and those that inflict the suffering.  I hadn’t realized how aware abusers are of their actions and this changes how I view them.  I’m quite confident that if I ever need to help any women with understanding an abuser, I’ll know enough that I can explain the man’s thought process.  It seems to me that the likelihood of Lundy being correct is more than men being the victims or not knowing what they’re doing.  I hope that I can remember these few, simple truths so I can help women on the path of healing and understanding. 



No comments:

Post a Comment